In the early 1920's, George Hauenstein of New Ulm, Minnesota sold weather-stripping for wood storm windows throughout seven cold-weather states in the upper Midwest. A close personal friend, Otto Burmeister held the patent for double hung aluminum storm windows. Together they formed Hauenstein & Burmeister, (H&B) in Minneapolis, Minnesota. During the Great Depression, the company focused on helping public facilities (schools, courthouses) to make improvements. Hauenstein & Burmeister, became one of the first distributors and installers of acoustical ceilings to reduce noise in schools, churches and public buildings. Later during World War II, H&B expanded its capabilities by manufacturing wooden ammunition boxes and by purchasing a metal fabrication shop to manufacture airplane hangar doors. As a extension to the business model, the company began manufacturing elevator entrances along with hollow metal and other metal specialties.
In the 1940’s, H&B entered the custom passenger elevator cab and entrance business by building a new and expanded facility in Minneapolis, Minnesota. When the high-rise construction market started booming in the early 1970's, H&B opened an elevator manufacturing plant in Odessa, Texas. When the building boom soon after slowed dramatically, H&B was forced to close its recently opened Texas plant.
From 1953 to 2013, Hauenstein & Burmeister (H&B) operated in this 83,000 sf building at 2629 30th Avenue, South Minneapolis. In May of 2013, and after years of working in the company in various capacities, Jashan Eison partnered with Fred Poferl to purchase H&B Elevators. They continue to operate the company in their updated factory in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Today, H&B Elevators has the reputation of being the premier manufacturer of custom passenger elevator cabs and entrances throughout the world.